President Bush is expected to sign a bill into law today designed to keep children across the country safer from child predators. One of the major advocates of the bill has been John Walsh. The bill is named “The Adam Walsh Child Protection Act of 2006”, in memory of his son Adam who was murdered 25 years ago.
“…The bill still needs to have funding passed separately, Walsh says. “Legislation without oversight and without money is just a photo-op.”
Projected cost $1.2 billion for the first couple years. The bill calls for:
• 500 new U.S. marshals. “They will only look for rapists and sexual predators of children,” Walsh says.
• 35 new FBI agents, “dealing with only with cyber crimes over the Internet.”
• Expanded efforts to catch pedophiles who use the Internet. Walsh credited NBC’s “Dateline” and Oprah Winfrey for demonstrating the size of the problem.
• A standardized sex offender registry in each state.
• The collection of DNA from all convicted sex offenders.
• A requirement that convicted pedophiles submit a new photo to authorities every three months…”